Bauhaus 100 anniversary with the New Bauhaus Museum Weimar | Germany
A break with traditional ideas and old ways of life, and a new way of thinking in art, architecture, education and society: when Walter Gropius founded the Bauhaus in 1919, he established a school of design which still inspires today. This year marks the 100th anniversery of the revolutionary Bauhaus.
We, MAGNA Glaskeramik and our production facility are situated right in the middle of the Bauhaus history. Our homebase Teutschenthal is located almost exactly half way between Weimar, where the Bauhaus was founded in 1919, and Dessau, where between 1925-1932 the foundation of modern architecture and design was laid during the most innovative and most productive years of the Bauhaus.
For this year´s anniversary, numerous new museums have been constructed in central Germany to display the heritage of the founding fathers of the Bauhaus. On Saturday, April 6thl 2019 the prestigious new Bauhaus Museum in Weimar, Thuringia was opened.
At first sight, the classic city of Goethe and Schiller may seem out of place: but the new Bauhaus Museum, a huge grey concrete cube facade, interspersed with elegant horizontal strips of lights that are clad with Magna Glaskeramik, neverthless references the principles of the Bauhaus. These today are mainly associated with simple, clear architecture and minimal design, form following function and reduced decoration.
The architect Heike Hanada and installer of the LED facade lighting Felix Estl of Derflix decided for Ice Nugget with the patinated surface, which has a unique and elevated feel, to be used on these lighting elements. MAGNA Glaskeramik was the only material to match the complicated requirements of perfect light distribution and was, with its sustainable ethics and regional innovative origin a perfect match for the New Bauhaus Museum.
The number of used MAGNA Glaskeramik strips is striking. These were made in lengths of 1200 mm and a widths of only 30 mm. On the complete façade of the Bauhaus Museum 2,400 pieces were installed, Which corresponds to a total area of 2,880 running metres.