Architect: Heike Hanada
Photo: Andrew Albert
Place: Germany | Weimar
Material: Ice Nugget, lighting elements
Total area: 2,880 running metres
A break with traditional ideas and old ways of life and a new way of thinking in art, architecture, education and society: when Walter Gropius founded the Bauhaus in 1919, he founded a design school that still inspires today. This year, the revolutionary Bauhaus celebrates its 100th anniversary.
We, MAGNA Glaskeramik and our production facility are right in the middle of Bauhaus history. Our home base in Teutschenthal is almost exactly halfway between Weimar, where the Bauhaus was founded in 1919, and Dessau, where the foundation stone for modern architecture and design was laid between 1925 and 1932 in the most innovative and productive years of the Bauhaus.
On the occasion of this year's anniversary, numerous new museums were erected in Central Germany showing the legacy of the founding fathers of the Bauhaus. On Saturday, 6 April 2019, the prestigious new Bauhaus Museum was opened in Weimar, Thuringia.
The classic city of Goethe and Schiller may seem out of place at first glance: The new Bauhaus Museum, a gigantic grey concrete cube façade interspersed with elegant horizontal stripes of light clad in Magna glass-ceramic, nevertheless refers to the principles of the Bauhaus. Today, these principles are primarily associated with simple, clear architecture and minimal design, form-following function and reduced decoration.
The architect Heike Hanada and the installer of the LED façade lighting Felix Estl from Derflix chose Ice Nugget with its patinated surface, which offers a unique and sublime feeling for these lighting elements. MAGNA Glaskeramik was the only material that met the complicated requirements for perfect light distribution and, with its sustainable ethics and innovative regional origins, was a perfect match for the New Bauhaus Museum.
The number of MAGNA Glaskeramik strips used is striking. These were manufactured in lengths of 1200 mm and a width of only 30 mm. 2,400 parts were installed on the entire facade of the Bauhaus Museum, which corresponds to a total area of 2,880 running metres.